Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Being home doesn't change anything

Hi All,

So I got a little break from the travel bug and had a chance to stay home this week. That doesn't change anything though. I've been waking up at 7AM to do my P90X workouts before turning on my computer to start work. Breakfast has consisted of 2 eggs over easy and a piece of toast. I use the spray olive oil to oil up my pan and season my eggs with a little garlic pepper and some Tony Chachere. Lunches has been mostly left overs but one day I had to resort to good ole Ramen noodles.

For dinner last night I took advantage of having the crock pot and tried out a new recipe. Here it is:

4 to 8 pieces of chicken (I used 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, 3 boneless/skinless chicken thighs, and also threw in some drumsticks)
3 Granny Smith apples (removed core and cut into small wedges)
1 container of mushrooms (sliced)
1 medium sized yellow onion (halved slices)
Garlic pepper seasoning
Salt if you like
2 zucchinis

I seasoned the chicken with garlic pepper (I'm not big on using a lot of salt but feel free to use if you like). I then layered the ingredients in the crock pot starting with the mushrooms, then onions, then apples. Then just place the chicken on top, close and set to low. Cook for 7 to 9 hours. Basically, the apples break down into a liquid and marinates the other ingredients as they cook.

What's good about using the crock pot is you can put all of your ingredients in before you leave for work in the morning and come home and it's all ready for you. When the chicken was about ready, I cut the zucchini in spears, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with garlic pepper. Just pan sear them but you can throw them on a grill if that works best for you. In addition to the recipe, I threw a salad together for a little appetizer.

Here's what the meal looked like (Salad not pictured)


The chicken turned out very delicious but the real treat was the other ingredients that cooked in the apple juice. I topped off the rice with some of that. Everything cost around $40 and it was enough to feed 4 and still have left overs for lunches for a couple of days.

Tonight I get to be bad and hit up a steak night. At least Erin and I split it so it's only half as bad.

Until next time
Traveling Dougie out...

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good. Maybe we should come over for leftovers :-) 'm going to try out the recipe next week since we finally got a crockpot.

    ReplyDelete