Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Helpful tool

There's a cool tool I've found to help keep up with my workouts. I've downloaded an app to my phone call MapMyRun. From my phone, the app is set up to automatically upload a run or a bike ride (if I decide to carry my phone). If I don't take my phone, they have a URL (http://MapMyRun.com) where I can manually enter my workout information. It can auto calculate the calories burned and keep track of your progress in a monthly summary. The site also allows you to import data from devices such as a Garmin GPS, Polar HRM (heart rate monitor), or the Nike +.

It's free to create an account. An awesome feature about MapMyRun is you can select some goals for yourself. Right now I am signed up for "Run 50 Miles in 30 Days". When you enter a workout, it automatically updates the progress of you goal. There are plenty more goals to choose from such as:

Run 100 miles in 30 days
Bike 300 miles in 30 days
Get more sleep in 15 or 30 days
Drink more water in 15 or 30 days
and much more...

You can challenge your friends to do these too and even set up groups to compare yourself to your friends. It's a great way to help get motivated especially if you travel alone.

Yesterday, I ran down the road where I thought there was a park that might have had a running trail or maybe just a sidewalk I could run on. Well, unfortunately it was just a wooded area. I did manage to run just over a mile to get to that location. I mapped it out on Google maps to get the exact mileage and then was able to enter it into my MapMyRun log.

Whether on the road or at home, you can still keep track of progress easily and at virtually no cost. Seeing your progress is a good way to keep you active and motivated.

Thanks for reading!

Traveling Dougie

1 comment:

  1. Hey I checked out the site. It's pretty cool. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete